Friday, August 24, 2007

Oxygen & Fire -- Experiment 2.2

Scary thought was my first impression... teach an 8th grader how to make fire... Hmm...

Actually, we had fun with this one... in the end.

The purpose of this test was to show the effect of adding and removing oxygen from fire. We're hoping that we'll understand how to quench or feed fire. Simple, right?

HAHA!

First off, teach your student to read through the instructions before proceeding with the experiment. Make sure you have plenty of supplies. This didn't happen with us. I only wish I had photographs to show this experiment.

Here's what you need... You need 2-cups of Hydrogen Peroxide, and 1-teaspoon of bakers yeast (you know, the stuff you use to make bread... yeah, I had to remember that one). You also need a 1-liter plastic soda bottle, a candle, a jar to fit over the candle (heat resistant is best), and a balloon.

First off my son measures the 2-cups of Hydrogen Peroxide pours it into the bottle and adds 1-teaspoon of yeast. My job is to put the balloon over the mouth of the bottle. Easy enough... Oxygen begins to sneak out of the balloon... But now I have to shake the bottle. You know, I am already feeling warmth on the bottle, I'm worried that the bottle will melt or break, and they want mix it more? It doesn't take much, and within minutes I have a balloon full of oxygen... Now what do I do? My son tells me to take the balloon off and tie the end... Ok.. Balloon is tied... there ain't anything getting out of this balloon...

Meanwhile we're instructed to light the candle and put the jar over the top... Ok, can do. So we sit and watch the candle... of course, it goes out. No we need to relight... The next step says, now place the jar over the candle and carefully release the contents of the balloon into the jar. Say WHAT?

My youngest begins to laugh and my oldest looks at me with a sheepish look... My youngest say, "Well, you can poke a hole in it, Mommy." Yeah right! Try that will trying to "carefully" release contents... Nope... not me. Of course you can't untie the balloon... it was damaged coming off the bottle mouth. "Well, Mommy," says my oldest, "you can cut the knot off..." I can't believe I took it, hook, line, & sinker. When you cut the knot, you have nothing to hold onto... the yeast, after bubbling in the peroxide makes it all slimy so you can't hold it. I finally let go... experiment failed.

This is where I find out we don't have enough supplies to do it again... Yeah, I run off the store to buy more Hydrogen Peroxide... I think I bought the store out...Before I left, I insisted that my son REREAD the whole experiment. Make sure he understands what has to happen.

Upon my return, we start the experiment all over again. It was exciting to see how the oxygen from the balloon causes the candle to glow very brightly. When you take the balloon away, the bright light lingers a bit, then fades away. Add more oxygen and right away it brightens.

Even though this experiment was exciting and fun, one thing to remember is to read through the entire experiment first... Secondly, make sure you have enough supplies for two experiments... You never know if you'll need a do over.

More later,

Heidi

No comments: