Friday, August 22, 2008

New School Year

Well, here we go again! Everyone advances to the next grade.

With my web design business keeping me busy, and making sure that our boys get a proper education, blogging has not been the first thing on my mind.

However, since I am pushing my boys to blog as a daily routine, I figure I should do a little too.

This year I have a 9th grader and a 7th grader. Yikes! They grow up so fast. Do you ever do the "Remember when..." stories? Do you sit looking at your children and remember when they were little tiny poop machines? What a trip!

So, this year we have subjects like Algebra 2, Biology, Literature, Social Studies, Creative Writing, General Science, & Pre Algebra (Algebra 1/2) for my youngest. I think this year has started out well. At least now I have their interests.

Well, back to work I go...

More later.

3 comments:

Oral Deckard said...

I found your site for your explanation on how to register a Verizon modem with Linux. I read further because of your home schooling and Christianity.

My wife and I home schooled our daughter when we spent 6 months in Sweden in '92-'93. She was just 6 and not old enough to start school in Sweden.

There I discovered an opportunity I never would have had otherwise. I lied to that poor child. Because she had no way of knowing what her 1st grade class was doing back home, and was nervous about getting behind, I told her she had to buckle down or she would slip behind the power curve. Then I taught her how to count, then how to read numbers up to trillions, how to add and subtract single digit numbers.

Then I taught her how to and and subtract two digit, then three digit, then up to 5 digit numbers. While fearing she might be falling behind the power curve she learned how to start on the left side and and and subtract 5 digit numbers, and write on the paper only after she had the answer.

When I tell this to folks they generally don't believe me. But try it yourself. There is no carry or borrow, and if you quit halfway you have a usable approximation. If you make a mistake, it will propagate into the lesser significant digits.

With subtract you can subtract several from one, not just one from one. As you go from left to right, add the top then subtract the bottom.

So 578
-489

would be 500-400=100
+70=170
-80=90
+8=98
-9=89

You have a running total all along the way. And a six year old did it, so you can. And your six year old can do it if you don't tell her it is hard. Tell her you have found a way around carry and borrow.

And if you wonder how she turned out, she is not the Executive Assistant to the Secretary of State of Indiana.

And oh yeah, I am self taught in web design. Linux only.

And your Shockwave's are a little frustrating since there is no Linux app for that. But KPlayer can handle .wmv just fine.

Oral Deckard said...

Oops. She is NOW the Executive Assistant to the Secretary of State of Indiana : |

Bookworm Central said...

I like your site!!I really appreciate and I invite you to take a book on my online bookfair website